Thread: Subsims, eh?
View Single Post
Old 01-19-15, 10:02 PM   #22
nsomnia
Weps

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 0

I wish, what a joke that asset is, its about as realistic as SH4 in terms of fluid dynamics. I played with the demo, and its not worth 450$ (and I was able to get around the time limit somehow by entering a random string and a random number into the name and serial number... weird.) I think their studio has sold something like 17 units on the asset store I heard somewhere? Plus its coded in c++ with a wrapper library into Unity. I've contacted Frank too and he sounded very arrogant since I wasn't, quote, "seriously interested in a purchase".

I am intersted to see where their updates go... but they SunDog is spending time doing Oculus development instead of fluid simulation.

I have soo many projects laying around half done (local group of C# coders and Unity/Blender/Max users.) I could call this a "Yacht Simulator" at this point haha. Underwater fluid simulation, and even surface, is even harder than Flight Sim work. Do it well however and it sticks around,look how dedicated people are to IL-2 what is it 11 years old now?

When Unity 5 comes out I may put some more hours into it the GI may make the graphics part easier but like you stated its a LOT of man hours for a small team and I wish you had the funding/team size to take WOTA further, I know how hard game design is when you/your team all has to be generalists.

Im curious is it JUST you, 5 years of work later, or a team? I havnt read your whole thread on the Unity forums just glanced through. But all I know is you are worlds ahead of anyone else in a 'modern' subsim. OR naval sim for that matter.

I recently got into Unreal 4. Wow if I had only learned c++ instead of c#.

PS your water shader system is beautiful considering its a mobile build and when I see things like your stormy weather scenes it makes me go 'Blah go work on something else'. Props. Also you do alot of sound work correct? Very curious to see how it will sound on a PC system with a pro sound guy(s).

Will post some pics of my models at some point. 3D modelling is my specialty.
If you need any blueprints let me know I have prints of everything on a type 7. Hundreds of them at hi-res. Down to the windlass gearing.

I count nearly 80 float variables just to calculate drag. You sir are simulating to the max. Viscosity, shaft efficiency, prop size, prop pitch... wow.

Last edited by nsomnia; 01-20-15 at 12:08 AM.
nsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote