Old 07-18-16, 07:52 AM   #4
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaarmstrong318 View Post
Hi folks

I used to play silent hunter alot and decided to play again so reinstalled from disk Silent hunter 4 and Uboat missions. can load up fine no problem, create a campaign, get my sub ready and then the game crashes to desktop on load with the usual windows error message "program has stopped working" I've run it as admin and in compatability mode with windows 7 and vista to no luck, can you help?

I run windows 10 64 bit.
not sure of my system specs but way higher than needed.
First of all, are you installed in the \program files or \program files (x86) directories?

If so, get them out of there! In Windows 7 and later, those directories (and some others) are "system protected directories." In Microsoft parlance and translated for real humans, this means that Silent Hunter and other programs that store their data in subdirectories of the program directory aren't allowed to run there. I install SH4 in a root directory \Ubisoft.

Viruses, worms, malware and adware are allowed to run unhindered, but you are crippled. That is called "security." Operating systems MUST be secure! If they also work, that is called a bonus, but actual function is not required. And "security" must evidence itself by hardship to the user. Hardship to harmful elements on the Internet may happen but that is strictly an accidental effect.

Welcome to Windows 10: the operating system that threw in the towel on the struggle against malware and became malware itself.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote