View Single Post
Old 10-27-15, 01:47 PM   #22
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
There was a meeting between an American Submarine and a U-Boat in the Atlantic. The U-Boat was blown to smithereens. I'll let you research that as you're the one taunting.
I've looked and I can't find it. Probably my fault, but a link would be appreciated.

As for taunting, I took it to mean that US boats would be helpless against British and American ASW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
In contrast, the Germans had NO ASW capacity at all! Zero. Zilch. Nada. No way to hunt and destroy submarines. Their only defense was to hightail it out of there fast enough that the submarines couldn't catch them.
Wrong. Plain and simple, wrong. German destroyers were equipped with depth charges, and active sonar (S-Gërat), as well as hydrophones. Several attacks were made on suspected submarines. Oil slicks were sighted on more than one occasion, but no actual confirmation. I'm not saying the Germans were anywhere near the Allies' capacity. They were in fact far behind. But "NO ASW capacity at all! Zero. Zilch. Nada."? Yes, they did.*

Quote:
The German U-boat campaign was the best Allied attack of the war. It alone was sufficient to ensure the defeat of Germany. Every man in a U-boat was wasted precious manpower that would have worked for Germany instead of against, had they been employed on land. Every worker who built and repaired U-boats, every ounce of steel, fuel, ordinance was one that would not contribute to German war aims. They were all working for the Allies and a fine job they did.
Sorry, but to me this seems opinionated and very much an overreaction. Of course that's just my opinion.

* M.J. Whitley, German Destroyers of World War Two, Naval Institute Press, 1991

Last edited by Sailor Steve; 10-27-15 at 01:56 PM.
Sailor Steve is offline   Reply With Quote