View Single Post
Old 08-21-09, 06:35 AM   #1
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0
Default Contract Of Common Sense

Hi Guys,

We're now on a 7 month run up to the release of the game. I believe that the game is scheduled to release in Australia on march 20 2010. If Ubisoft follows in the same footsteps as SH3 and SH4, that will put the European/US release of SH5 within a week of that date.

The pattern that usually emerges on this forum on the lead up to the release of a new version of Silent Hunter, is a mixture of excitement, anticipation and frustration, as people are seeking answers to questions relating to issues such as what technical specs will be required in order to run the game.

I think Silent Hunter 5 looks like an exciting new venture for us sub simmers, and I thank Dan and his team for all the hard work they have put into this new game. We have to look to history though and understand that it is highly likely that this game will be released in an unfinished state, and that it will require significant patching for 6 to 9 months after its release.

So let's accept now that the game will be playable when it's released, but it won't be a truly great sim until it's fully patched and the modders have got to grips with it.

I say all this because we don't want a whole load of people stating that Ubisoft sucks and they want to sue the company etc. We've seen and heard it all before and it's very boring.

While the vast majority of members here will understandably pre-order the game, hopefully from Subsim so that our forum benefits from the sales, I have made the choice to wait and purchase the game about 9 months after its release. There will only be a handful of people who do this, and in my case, I just don't want to go through the whole process of installing and uninstalling mods as each new patch is released. Been there, done that. Very boring.

I will purchase the game at the end of 2010. The difference between what I pay for it at that time and the $49.99 retail price I will donate to subsim. I will then patch it once, mod it once and then enjoy it.

Let's initiate a 'Contract Of Common Sense' though. We all know the pattern of how this will play out between now and December 2010, when the sim will probably have achieved the status of being the best sub sim of all time.

Let's celebrate what the game will undoubtedly become, and not moan and complain about every little thing we don't like in the meantime.

Last edited by Webster; 08-27-09 at 05:21 PM.
TDK1044 is offline   Reply With Quote