View Single Post
Old 02-20-13, 08:50 PM   #72
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post

No. According to Warplanes of the Third Reich, by William Green (a Brit), any plane designed before the name change to Messerschmitt AG is properly Bf, and any after, starting with the Me-163 Komet, is of course Me. What any Allied pilots called them is irrelevant.
It is relevant when during the war allied intelligence incorrectly IDed them as Me109s and I said in the above post (that was too long a of sentence for you sorry.... for the error it was not intended) even 109s on their factory ID plates could be found with both the Bf prefix or the Me prefix.Therefore even the Germans themselves used both prefixes even though "officially" RLM said it was "Bf" not every factory got the message.

Allied intelligence never got the message and assumed that the Me prefix applied to all Messerschmidt designs even those originally produced by
Bayerische Flugzeugwerke(Bf).In fact RLM wanted the BF prefix to stay with the 109 allied intel had no way of knowing this until the war ended.So Me109 was used as the ID by the men that actually fought against them in WWII therefore as i said it is for the sake of historical accuracy relevant.That is why I used the term Me109 in my post under Jimbunas photo it is what would have been said in any RAF fighter wing or any allied fighter unit during the war.

Yes I fully agree that the correct name is Bf109.What I am saying is that giving the historical facts and terms used by all sides during the war it is 1005 correct to say that allied pilots IDed and knew the plane as Me109.If a film about WWII allied fighter pilots where to show the men refer to the BF109 as BF 109 and not Me109 the terminology used would be incorrect based on the actual terminology used by Allied air crews during the war. Maybe i did not come across that way before but that was what I was trying to say.

Agree to disagree I suppose.

Unless you feel like settling it with a dog fight?

By the way part of my typo errors are to blame on the new keyboard I have.It is washable and the keys are raised in a funny way and my clumsy fingers are not used to it.As a result i might miss some "." here and there.

Last edited by Stealhead; 02-20-13 at 09:02 PM.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote