View Single Post
Old 10-21-18, 02:56 PM   #7168
Kelly621
Officer

Downloads: 336
Uploads: 0

LB,
Getting old does have it good points, but it certainly has its downside as well....as I am also finding out. I am going to expand on the good advice 3catcircus just posted.

First things first....
Start from scratch and make a fresh clean install of SH3.

I recommend you follow the following instructions for installing SH3 that is posted in the link below. It will guide you through removing starforce protection if you have an old DVD, apply the no cd patch etc....scroll down to the post titled (Re-)Installation Of SH3's basis: V1.4b. Read through the instructions, take your time and follow them carefully.

You can skip this part if you have a newer DVD that does not have starforce and is already updated to 1.4b, but I think the no cd patch may still be needed or useful.

www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=212323

I have my SH3 vanilla installed in c:/SH3_Stock, don't install it in the "Program files (X86) folder. I only use it to make copies. In your case once you have SH3 vanilla installed you can go two ways.

Frist, and pretty simple you can use a program called [S3F]_SH3-Front-End. It automates copying your original vanilla SH3 files to do a multi-install.
In otherwords it will copy all the SH3 files and folders to a new folder, say C:/SH3_GWX you create. It will then setup your save folder and you will have another functioning SH3 to install GWX to.
Use the GWX single file exe. just double click it, tell it where your newly created second copy of SH3 is installed and it will do the rest.
You will have three new items on your desktop if the install of GWX went well. A shortcut to start SH3 GWX, a JSGME shortcut and the GWX manual. Read the manual and it will guide you through the rest of the setup.

Download the front end program here:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...p?do=cat&id=56

The program and its use are explained here:

www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=212462

[S3F]_SH3-Front-End also automates the installation of H.sie's patch which you will to want to use. The patch adds alot to GWX and also use the front end program to enable the 4GB patch.

You can also do it manually (I prefer this method, but that's just me)...create a folder on your c drive name it SH3_GWX or whatever. Copy all the SH3 files in your original install folder then paste them into the new folder.
Put the program MultiSH3 in the new folder, run it and it creates the save folder for SH3. Then install GWX or whatever supermod you choose into the new folder.
You can then follow H.sie's instructions included with the download of his patch and manually install it. Just take your time and take it all one step at a time.

H.sie's patch download link:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=4412

MultiSH3 download link:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=4411

Once you have all this figured out and installed you will want to look into using SH3 Commander plus Sailor Steve's Ships Names Mod with GWX, but that is for later
Kelly621

Last edited by Kelly621; 10-21-18 at 11:36 PM.
Kelly621 is offline   Reply With Quote