View Single Post
Old 04-01-10, 02:59 AM   #16
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

There were complaints by several people about the AI, and quite some people turned their back on SF - and not only because of my text back then. The installation was fine (and redone, for other reasons). people stucking with it usually were people craving specifically for a WWII tank title.

Sorry for the German phrase, "Schnee von gestern" does not mean the AI is bad, it just means the story the phrase refers to is no longer actual, the whole thing is history, outdated, nobody cares anymore.

Quote:
I would call it a Tank Training Simulation Software.
By origin it is, focussing on some - by far not all - aspects of tanking. Gunnery, and unit-cohesive manouvering, and tactical decisions are the focus. But for gamers using it, by handling it is not much different than using any game. Just the "game" mechanisms" work more complex in the background. What makes it a training software, is more additonal features and possible alternative ways of using the software. for the casual gamer, it can be handled and run just like any game. You can even tweak it into an arcade turkey shooting. Around one dozen armies use it professionally, mostly in europe, and mostyl armies that have no high density of hardware simulator cabins like the Germans (who are said to have the highest density of such installations of any of the Western tank armies). simHQ forum linked a video to the Danish army and their SBP training installations recently.

http://haeren.smugmug.com/Video/Vide...638_YFeNK-A-LB

I wrote it back then, and say it again: I do not think I compared SF and SBP to each other, and even said that in the conclusions, saying the quality gap is too huge that it makes no sense. My criticism of SF is not due to comparing it to antoher title out there, but because of the weaknesses of SF that stand for themselves.

I'm German, but sometimes feel like living in the wrong place. The craving for collective harmony at every cost pushes tolerance in Germany far beyond the limits and leads to tough discussions of important questions being avoided. I hate this attitude in German society. Always busy only on things and in ways were it does not threaten to hurt.

Some nice after-action reports from x-mas, teaching lessons (click them):

Tank platoon in defence

Target fixation - never good

Learning to punch with the fingers spread

Last edited by Skybird; 04-01-10 at 04:15 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote