View Single Post
Old 08-25-18, 10:11 AM   #51
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaniel B. View Post

It's an all day job. Not the way I'd like to spend my day off.

A bigger property seems nice ... at first. But, what do we really do with it? Not much. Sure, we could host a party of several dozen people comfortably. But the reality is that most of the time it's just a pain in the arse.

Even though our property is relatively small for this area, I often envy people who "only" have a postage stamp sized yard to deal with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
You're right... at the moment I'm constantly to and fro the local recycling centre (used to be called the Tip) with sacks of hedge and tree prunings. As you get older you do wish there was far less to do... it's a neverending task
YUP! YARD WASTE IS A PROBLEMO. WE SHARE THE THE BROWN YARD-WASTE DUMSTERS ON OUR STREET (THERE ARE THREE: GARBAGE, RECYCLE AND YARD-WASTE-PER HOUSEHOLD) SO IF ONE HAS A BIG PROJECT-MAJOR PRUNING ETC IT'S NO HASSLE. HALF MY YARD(8000 SQ FT) IS FORMAL GARDENS AND LAWNS; THE SIDE AND REAR HALF ARE A LARGE GARDEN BOXED (4) FOR OUR 'VICTORY GARDEN' PEAS, SQUASH, ZUCCHINI, CARROTS, LETTUCE, GREEN AND YELLOW BEANS, ONIONS, TOMATOES, CORN, PUMPKINS, MELONS AND BASIL AND ROSEMARY. ONE BOX IS FOR RASPBERRIES AND I HAVE GLEANING PRIVILEGES FROM MY NEIGHBORS APRICOT AND PEACH TREES AS MY WIFE LIKES TO CAN HER OWN JAMS. ALL MY YARD TOOLS ARE ELECTRIC INCL THE CHAINSAW FOR VICIOUS ROSE TREES, SO NO GASOLINE TO STORE IN THE GARAGE. EATING A SALAD FROM YOUR GARDEN AND PUTTING YOUR OWN JAM ON ENGLISH MUFFINS IS A REAL KICK.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote