View Single Post
Old 11-27-14, 05:39 PM   #15
Kaptlt.Endrass
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 96
Uploads: 0

Finally beat that flu. Good timing too; I'd hated to miss Thanksgiving dinner. On the other hand, the bedrest gave me plenty of time to determine our route around the Cape of Good Hope.

17 September 1942, 0233 hours
Kapitanleutnant zur See Otis von Bismarck
U-181

Finished refueling and resupplying with U-459 at 0217 hours, cast off at 0225. Set speed for 7 knots and plotted a 42-day course around the cape and between Madagascar and the mainland. We will end up at the Horn of Africa after ~13000 kilometers have been crossed.

13 October 1942, 1053 hours
Kapitanleutnant z. S. Otis von Bismarck
134 km. ESE of Cape Town, U-181

Spotted two armed merchants at 1036 hours and submerged when 3500 meters out. Weather was overcast with medium winds and 3-5 foot waves, and we remained undetected. Closed to 500 meters and identified. Lead ship was a British Empire Freighter; second was a British small merchant. Fired tubes 1 and 2 (G IIIa G7e, II G7e) at the Empire, and tube 3 (IIIa G7e) at the merchant. Two hits scored on Empire, sunk at 1048 hours (6.5k GRT). Small merchant took neglible damage and escaped at high speed.

21 October 1942, 0939 hours
Leutnant z. S. Hans Gerbach (IWO)
Entrance to Madagascar-Africa channel, U-181

Reached our first trial of the passage. Dove to periscope depth before Kaluen Bismarck retired, feeling unwell. Ship's medic reported the cold, and he is to remain quarintined until it passes.

21 October 1942, 1446 hours
3/4 through Madagascar-Africa channel, U-181

Surfaced in order to air out and charge batteries.

21 October 1942, 1458 hours
<50 km from Indian Ocean, U-181

Spotted two Hawker Hurricane aircraft at 1453, manned flak guns. Both shot down, gave pilots the spare raft and pointed them home.

27 October 1942, 0026 hours
Kapitanleutnant z. S. Otis von Bismarck
259 km. ESE of the Red Sea, U-181

Recovered from cold. Reached the end of the 2nd leg of our journey. We have spent 60 days at sea as of today, and will set a course for a Japanese base in the next hour. Sent contact report to BdU. Morale is high, and the external torpedoes have ben moved.

Guess what the BdU's reply was.

So, second leg down! We've already surpassed the normal date that U-boats spent on patrol, and we still have an entire ocean to cross. Also, where do you suggest I put in when we reach Asia?

Thanks for watching (reading?)

As much as I dislike it sometimes, I'm a tin can sailor, through and through.
Kaptlt.Endrass is offline   Reply With Quote