View Single Post
Old 12-21-16, 03:37 AM   #28
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146
Uploads: 0

@ Oberon

As you may or may not be aware, this year my step daughter went to the ER due to complaints of crippling back pain. as it turned out she was passing a kidney stone. She was sent home with pain management medication and antibiotics and advised to return if the pain worsened or persisted.

fast forward two days, the pain returned and was worse than the first go. She was taken back to the ER as directed and an MRI conducted. The doctors discovered that one of the kidney stones had become jammed in her left ureter just long enough to cause urine to back up into the kidney, this, combined with the irritation from the stone passage caused a kidney infection. she was admitted to the hospital here in our home town for a couple of days to manage the condition.

the stone passed, but the infection refused to relent and caused the kidney to abscess. She was transferred to a Children's Hospital about 2 hours drive from home and admitted where she remained for the next 22 days. During that time doctors determined that the offending organism was Klebsiella Bacteria and worked to save the kidney. Ultimately she needed a drain tube inserted through her abdomen into the kidney to allow the abscess fluid to exit the body (Nephrostomy) and we were advised that only a handful of antibiotics would actually work against Klebsiella Bacteria. Eventually she was sent home with a PICC line inserted into the left arm which was meant to feed the antibiotics directly into the circulatory system. This was something we were taught to do here on our own, but for the first few treatments she had a visiting nurse.

I cant complain about our insurance plan too much, we have a better plan than most, but we do pay exorbitantly for it. the final tally on her medical bills rested in the $115,000 range, of which we will be responsible for about $7,000 out of pocket.

Without putting too much of our business our there, my wife realistically only makes about $1,900 a month, her employer offered health care plan is what i would call a "Cadillac" policy. It offers a great many options and coverages. conversely, i out earn my wife many times over, but the employer offered health care plan through my employer is garbage ergo we elect to use her coverage instead of mine... which is why it gobbles up so much of her income.

My in-laws are another example. While self sufficient and proud people, they would be considered "low income" and since they are both "self employed" Obamacare was the only realistic option for them at the time of their enrollment. They couldn't go without insurance, and they certainly couldn't afford to pay the state mandated penalty for going uninsured.

Unfortunately for them, their ACA premiums have increased considerably since their initial enrollment and have expressed disappointment with the coverage compared to the cost. Im certain they are not the only folks in that boat.

I almost lean toward scrapping the ACA altogether and letting free market capitalism run with the ball, when insurers are tripping over their own asses competing for customers the premiums will invariably be reduced. besides... anyone with nary a single dime to spare cannot be turned away from medical treatment - hospitals already receive a ton of tax incentives for treatment of those who are unable to pay as is.

the bottom line is; there's only one big rock, and everyone has to get a piece of the rock. My favored politician is quite simply the one who a. gives me the most access to the rock and b. leaves my piece of the rock most unmolested.