View Single Post
Old 06-19-18, 12:14 AM   #5
greyrider
Watch Officer

Downloads: 237
Uploads: 0

did I say there wasn't a solution for any angle colonel? I don't recall I ever did, the tdc doesn't generate a bunch of bearings to hit, it generates one bearing as a hitting bearing, the other bearings that can hit along with the generated bearing, are applied by the tdc as offsets from the generated bearing, as the target moves, it generates one bearing. look at the tfcm, theres diagrams there that show alot more angles then just the ninety, you won't get a divergent spread in most angles, they would have to be 90 or near ninety degrees, the idea in constant bearing method was to hit aft to forward and cover the whole target, thats a straight line and implies a rt where you can use the whole targets length, how could you do that with a target coming at you in a 20 aob? if you can do the calculations for an angle like that manually and still get your shot off, your the best colonel!
take a look at the pictures, I fired those torpedoes to create a divergent spread, it still ended up as longitudinal, hitting in the same place, but I proved it works, I don't care what it's called, just that it works, and the constant bearing method, the way I learned how to do it, matches what tang did. you can come with any proof, but then , you also have to prove where I said it couldn't be any angle. I know I said the only way you can get a divergent spread was in a ninety, that's different from what you say I said, I was talking about a spread pattern, not an angle.
in order to be a method or methodical, it has to be consistent, your logic wouldn't be consistent over every bearing, the 90 would be
Her gun crew had guts, however, for from her canting bow came a half dozen well-aimed rounds. How they pointed and trained their gun on that tilting platform will long remain a wonder, and their dedication in keeping up the fire until they went under would be a matter of pride to any nation.

O'Kane, Richard. Clear the Bridge!: The War Patrols of the U.S.S. Tang

Last edited by greyrider; 06-19-18 at 01:15 AM.
greyrider is offline   Reply With Quote