View Single Post
Old 10-17-17, 04:34 AM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

My home WLAN is set to minimum emission range (1 wall already is problematic), and my smartphone has a 100% prepaid card, usually I switch its WLAN off when I do not need it (also mobile internet connection is off all the time). I have a deep mistrust against public WLAN hotspots, I would never use them. Since more and more stores use to track and ID customers by their WLAN devices when they enter the shop, I switch it off when leaving the house, if it is not already. Hard to break into this if the attacker needs really several hours and close range to succeed.

However, the example has been set. I say since longer time that Linux systems (Android is a Linux) should not be considered "untouchable". If I understood it correctly, no security scanner can protect you against this abuse.

General rule: switch WLAN on only when you need it, on your device. Use the timer of your router to switch it off in times you sleep or are not at home, have its energy signature reduced as much as possible. I never understood why many people have their computers on even when they sleep or leave the house. Do they think the Earth stops revolving around the sun if they go offline for some hours? You can download all mails in your box next time you boot it, or not?