View Single Post
Old 09-20-18, 10:16 AM   #1
Ghayth203
Swabbie

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0
SHO Do Japanese destroyers always ping?

I remember once at Silent Hunter III, in a mission where I do have to sink one of three battleships, I looked at the situation when I spotted a destroyer sailing too close to me, I feared detection so I lowered my periscope and rigged for silent running while following him with my hydrophone... Using external view I saw that I did completely passed right below him, but I was asking why didn't he ping me and detect me? The answer was pretty clear: I didn't make them suspicious about the existence of a submarine there, no loud noises, no periscope above the water, no torpedo waves nothing

By then when I passed the destroyer screen I fired a salvo of four fish towards the second battleship in the line, and I sailed to the opposite direction they were sailing, and I just watched them circling and depth charging the "nothing" that they though it was a u boat

When the whole task force passed, the battleship that I hit took a ~5 degrees to starboard and lost all power, I fired a salvo of three and sunk it...

If the first destroyer pinged me, I would have been detected so battleships would be zigzagging, and no one of them will be sunk

Is it the same in Silent Hunter IV: Wolves of the Pacific? Can I pass below a destroyer without him pinging me if I don't make them suspicious?
Ghayth203 is offline   Reply With Quote