View Single Post
Old 08-24-15, 10:29 PM   #175
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Halsey View Post
Would it be possible to release a version of this without the changed weather effects? It's a good mod but I'm getting a bit tired of my sub plodding along at only 4 knots at flank during a storm.
Easily accomplished!

Just disable ISP, open it up, and take out the scene.dat file. All weather/wave changes are in that.

I hope people are using the ISP 2.x patch. If you install it and follow the instructions, you should have more bearable weather. Or, you can follow the above procedure, and have normal/vanilla weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
A fine test! Convoy disruption after attack looks like it's hard coded then, as stock convoys are disrupted for the same amount of time. Personally, none of the convoy behaviors in any of the physics mods would keep me from using one. I'm using one now with GFO and play has been really good with it.

I'll get back to my TMO game and try yours out next. Good show!
Thank-you.

Typical convoys may be crammed into a smaller space than the one I crafted. This could make for messier attacks, but I'll leave that to others to test or discover.

I was going to do a naval TF, but I figure if a merchant convoy can hold together, a TF should do at least as well.

Btw, the spacing I used was diagramed in Roscoe's U.S. Destroyer Operations of WWII. I consider it to have worked well.

I did notice what seemed odd about the convoy turning style/method, that is worth mentioning. It could be useful to anyone who is changing or developing a SH campaign. This occurred with or without ISP.

We might assume the convoys ships in a column would turn simultaneously, but they didn't do that.

We might think the lead ship in a column would turn, and the following ships would simply turn the same way, as they reached that point in space, where the first turned. They didn't do that either.

What happens is that the first in column will turn, and the following ships will turn to different angles, in such a way that the 'tail' of the convoy will swing out. This makes for a jumbled appearance, if one views it while it is in process. Below is my drawing of what it looks like:

Looking at the left column (the inside column), one can see the leading ship at the new course, the 2nd at a lesser angle, the 3rd and 4th actually turning in the opposite direction! It looks messy, yet seems to get the job done. I think the inside column tends to be jumbled more than the others. (If the ships are jammed very tight into the convoy, it could lead to difficulties.)

If anybody knows about convoy procedures, and can shed some light on this, don't hesitate to help us out.

TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote