Thread: [REL] FOTRS Ultimate Project
View Single Post
Old 07-02-17, 04:23 PM   #4850
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Yeah, Pearl at 8096 is definitely not advised...

When you activate TMO in SH4, it overwrites some, but not all of the game. Some of the stuff "sticks", some of it doesn't. But you'll not notice issues too much with it if MS rolls back part of the mod, except in a few select areas. FotRS Ultimate overwrites quite a bit of the game, and has more "incompatible" portions in what it does than TMO does, so you'll definitely notice problems if MS rolls a portion of it back. It doesn't seem to have issues with dds & jpg files, but cfg files will almost always get rolled back.

Since you can't get TMO to load, I'd say that your install is in a "mod soup" state, of the undesired kind. Copy the mods in your MODS folder somewhere for safekeeping, and get rid of your My Documents / SH4 folder contents. Log into Steam on your computer and uninstall SH4 from where you have it. Refer to
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...21#post2297821

where dodoubla mentions using the Steam Settings to install into something like "C:\ Games \ Steam \ Silent Hunter..." or something memorable to you, without too long of a naming structure. I forget what the character limit for some of the older apps is, but I've hit it before... You get the game out of that Windows File Protection Program (twist on the words there), and life should get a little easier for modding. You'll probably also find a few more things about TMO to like...

Here's a "shot" of my Steam App on my computer:

You first hit the "Steam" (1) menu upper left, then choose the "Settings" (2 is what that displays) from it. You can also get there through the "View" menu - which to me, that's not confusing at all... Once there, select the "Downloads" (3), which re-populates the window on the right for you to click on "Steam Library Folders" (4), which then gives you the little box below, by (5) to "Add Library Folder". I did "Games \ Steam" for mine, but it will still add in the whole "steamapps \ common \ GameName" structure when you install something, so just using one folder should take you deep enough from the "root" of the drive... Hopefully, someone will chime in with a shorter, more concise technique...

btw, I had to call in my "expert consultant" on this, my seventeen year old son - 'cause I couldn't remember how I did it before...

Edit: The Steam Support Site method has the manual way also...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 01-25-18 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Steam Link
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote