View Single Post
Old 07-23-14, 01:26 AM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanjast View Post
Looking at the Millenia of history .. I'd say USA is copying China
NOT! "The naming of the ship was a radical departure from the general practice of the time, which was to name aircraft carriers after battles or previous US Navy ships. After the war altering Doolittle Raid, launched from the USS Hornet, President FDR answered a reporter's question by saying that the raid had been launched from "Shangri-La", the fictional faraway land of the novel Lost Horizon. CV/CVA/CVS 38 USS Shangri-La; on last deployment 1970. Two battle stars in WWII as flagship Carrier Task Force Two-Vice ADM John S. McCain Sr. commanding, and three Battle stars for Viet Nam. Some literary fantasy meets some badass reality I'd say! AND, The 'proof may be in the pudding' as the Brits have it: the Chinese are coming to U.S. for advice!?... ie now that we got one of these...How & what do we do with it?

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote