View Single Post
Old 12-20-11, 12:39 PM   #13
Dogfish40
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 827
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
Modded SH3 doesn't even come close to the simulation that modded SH5 has. Show me where you can do real navigation in SH3? Show me a real in-game journal that you can write your own notes/logs into in SH3? Show me the ability to automate daily tasks/searches/etc. in SH3 (what I call Automation in SH5)? Show me where you have the ability to write custom scripts that can do whatever you want in SH3? Show me where you can have in-game tutorials that can highlight objects, show pictures, and interact with the player in SH3? Show me where you can completely change the AI behavior via scripting in SH3? I can go on and on. Point is SH3 was good in it's day - now it's a dinosaur compared to SH5. Seeing that you just bought it I don't see how you can make that kind of statement. It will take you months to figure out what SH5 has to offer/brings to the table (and depending on what mods you install it could take you many months more).

The downloads section is not the most up-to-date place for SH5 mods. To find the most up-to-date mods look in the SH5 mods forum.
Couldn't agree more about the reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevepine View Post
yeah real navigation IS indeed very good and makes playing the game a very different experience.

Journal? I can type down "cargo ship sunk at XX YY on -- / -- /--" "ship sighted at XYZ"... Fun for some I guess?

AI in Sh5 (even with IRAI 30.0) still isn't as realistic , dangerous and threatening and well done as it did in SH3. (Although IRAI made things a LOT better)

Automations. Yeah, a nice addition

Crew / crew management in Sh5 - even modded, still needs a MAHOOSIVE overhaul.

Playable subs - Sh3 wins on this - obviously.

Sh5 DOES have the potential to be a lot better than SH3 I agree.... but SH5 still has a long, long way to go.
Personally, I can't for the life of me figure out how to compare SH3 to SH5. SH3 is (Modded) a great subsim, even for a "dinosaur" and I won't get into all the virtues of that game 'cause everyone knows. However, to compare SH3 to 5 is like comparing two different kinds of music and asking which ones better.
When I got some of the mods installed in SH5 (the Graphic mods for one) I was floored. I was very happy to be playing SH4 with those graphics and gameplay (modded).
SH5 is it's own game, the great work done by the modders so far has made this game quite breathtaking and fun. A good part of that fun (as with the other games) is tweaking it to your liking. Right now, where-ever I am, I can't wait to get home and boot it up. My grades at life are suffering for it but I don't care, my wife will just have to wait .
Good Hunting all
D40