View Single Post
Old 09-09-08, 12:36 AM   #51
Maxim
Totem Games

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuke
I, like at least one other person here, didn't realize the developer was actively participating here and taking input. My whining could have been more constructively phrased, I'm afraid.

CaptainHaplo made a comment that actually might be a solution to the turn-based scenario. If you could pause the action to set commands for each ship and then let the scenario run with both sides maneuvering and shooting at the same time, that would be closer to a realistic situation than sitting still while the enemy runs rings around you with impunity.

For Totem Games: The z-axis problem was most noticeable with the steam-sailing ships that have bulwarks. The water level could be seen rising and falling above their decks, inside the bulwarks, which would be a real problem for those ships!!

Terry
It is good, that you have written that thought in the message. Praises are not necessary to us. The truth is necessary to us.

We thought above such idea. If the ships of the player and a computer will simultaneously operate, it is game in real time. If the ships of one side, and then another it is very difficult to supervise such fight will simultaneously operate. It not strongly differs from our variant, in my opinion even is worse.

Before the beginning of work above game we have studied various desktop naval strategy. It was interesting to try to transfer rules of a board game on a computer. The first version of the prototype game was with division of a game field into cells and copying of basic elements of board games.

After the first testing became clear, that the computer does the basic work which did the person earlier. For example throws game bones (cubes). Or writes down position and a condition of the ship. Actually at such a variant to the player it was very boring. Movement - a shot – movement - a shot... Thus parameters of the ship and all game mechanics it is too simple. It is necessary that the life of the ship became equal to zero. Any fires, floodings or calculations of the armor. The ship from armor in such games has more than spots of a life.

It has not arranged us also we have decided to try realistic modelling of the ships and fight with TBS mechanics of game.

In some days we shall start to test campaign for the North. Therefore any changes would be a mistake.

I have understood you. We thought that water can be rolled on decks of the small ships. Probably we were mistaken.

BR,
Totem Games
Maxim is offline   Reply With Quote