View Single Post
Old 10-01-18, 01:08 PM   #4929
Geoff then
Gunner

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 0
Default Probably the best engagement of my entire life

I was just test running my own mini mod pack (basically TMO 2.5 + ISP 2.4-scene.dat + few little extras)
and started of on a Balao in Australia 1943. So it was August 1943 and i was raiding the Bismarck Sea. So far I just had a small tanker on my list, when I received a transmission that indicated a task force wsw to my position at 24kn. So I went southwest with ahead flank, there it was, the radar contact.
Visible on the radar were 4 core ships + 5 or 6 destroyers. Juicy. It was night and vision was very bad, so i went on a parallel course heading towards them and as soon as i got vision i went on persicope depth. They were still pretty fast so I assumed they were still doing their 24kn. AOB was also no secret because I was on a parallel course. I just needed to get close to one of the core ships to get range. I ordered silent running and slowed down to 2kn. When the first core ship got close enough it was already time to shoot. I couldnt completely determine which type it was, only that it was a heavy cruiser. Since they all had similar mast height I just went for the mogami if I recall it correctly. Put in the range and AOB, started the computer and began to dive. When i was at about 100ft I blasted a full salvo of 10 slow speed long range fish with a spread angle of 35°. After about 2 min i head the first Impact, then 2 Impacts in quick succession. These were followed by massive explosions meaning two ships were gone for good. After another 30 sec or so again: One Impact followed by 2 Impacts in quick succession. Still diving, I could hear another ship exploding and sinking. Slowly afterwards, the destroyers started pinging me, but I was already pretty deep. Some evasion hassle went on for some time, forcing me to get close to 600ft, but i managed to evade them with no damage. While I was listening to the destroyers getting more and more range in between them and me, I noticed that there were no more ship sounds except the destroyers. I knew I had sunk 3 ships and there were 4 cores so I assumed, the last one was also hit and DIW. That meant for me: heading back to periscope depth. While climbing I quit silent running in order to put at least one fish into the tube. After looking through the periscope for a pretty long amount if time I managed to spot the missing one. Barely visible, but still easy to recognize, it was a Shokaku, listing heavily to their starboard side. Only one destroyer was between me and it, the other ones were pretty far away, bombing some dolphin?!
So I went back to 450 feet while getting closer to the last target. My plan was to rise back to periscope depth after passing under the Shokaku and hit it with my rear fish. But I miscalculated and I came up right in front of it. I noticed the sea had become rougher, and also the destroyer that was guarding it had somehow got notice of me. So as he was pinging me I put out the 11th fish towards the Shokaku, that already had started sinking seconds after I fired. Watching the explosion was still very satisfying. After that I went for ahead flank ordered 575ft depth. The following pursuit went for about an hour and they managed to get 2 hits on me, with only minor damage that could be repaired quickly. After that hour they lost me and soon took off. So I managed to wreck 4 capital ships with 6 hits of a 10 torp salvo. I really had not expected that. But oh my what a catch it was.
Where is my medal?

Last edited by Geoff then; 10-01-18 at 06:31 PM.
Geoff then is offline   Reply With Quote