View Single Post
Old 07-23-17, 05:45 PM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Not claiming that I know all the device data you throw out there, I have just one question to raise for you.

Do you really actually need a new PC and invest money into it?

My W7 gaming platform is from 2010, and still runs every game smooth I launch on it.

Just to get rid of something because it has reached an arbitrary lifetime criterion, well, you are saure you need that?

Regarding your mother, I recommend a laptop with Linux on it, it must not even be a specially fast one if it is Linux, just maybe look out for a good display, I think that pays off. That is a very huge money-saving scenario! Assuming she does not need to run any professional or gaming software that depends on Windows being present, that is the way to go. I did that for my own mother over one year ago. Before she had a device with W7, I then installed Mint Cinnamon on it. She is happy, it does what it should, everything is faster and more easy. She is 69, and happier with Linux than with Windows before, everything is much faster and smoother, and she knows nothing about computers: and still she found the jump from W7 to Linux Mint Cinnamon easier. And me, I have almost zero maintencance to do now. Win-win. And Linux turned the laptop, low class, into a sprinter machine.

On running redundant HDs, keep on mind that only makes sense when you want a sefety against data droppings when one device brakes down. However, every installation messup by - I assume - Windows 10 will be present on the other drives as well. For that scenario these parallel drives do not provide you any security. Same is true if you get hit by malware. If it finds its way on one drive, all your parallel drives must be counted as compromised. To me, the conceot is pretty much pointless, when it comes to installation and malware security.

Thats why I - at the end of my Windows days - had come to no longer caring for image backups and the likes. I tried to use them several times over the past 17 years, and most of the times I did the attempts failed. Its not worth time and effort. Keep data and archives on USB sticks or DVDs, and in case of troubles simply install everything new, then copy data from these backups.

Your scenario 3, 3000 dollars? Well, of course everything is worth it to somebody as he sees fit, but I think 3000 bucks are a lot of money, and that ammount represents three 1-month budgets in complete living costs for me. I could afford more, but I simply do not need it. Just saying, my standards of course must not be your standards.

There are cheaper ways to kill some money, I think. And as I said, I run a seven years old system and it is still smooth with every sim and game I run on it. Fallout 4 with WOTC, Assetto Corsa, Steel Beasts 4, Arma 3 being the heavy spec killers here. Smooth frames, more I cannot want. A new gaming PC, tower format, imo must, could and should not cost more than 1000 bucks at max.

P.S. I stopped buying peripheral hardware that is Windows exclusively, but made it a criterion that it is also console or Linux compatabile, fully so. I recommend that because I plan and expect PCs to last longer than just three years , and Windows is in a death spiral all the way down. In some years I probably will not even run a Windows game machine anymore. And then all that peripheral hardware - which I used to run even longer in the past -, would have been wasted.

Last edited by Skybird; 07-23-17 at 05:58 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote