View Single Post
Old 09-16-16, 03:14 AM   #7
banryu79
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 2
Default More explanations about the Scenario origins

I think I need to better explain my reasons and what inspired me in sharing this scenario.

The sole aim of this scenario is to give to the ABSOLUTE WANNABE MANUAL TMA SKIPPER a safe haven to practice. This is the context for the scenario. And this scenario is just the first, the most simple.

I thought about a "level 0 Manual TMA" (more or less the equivalent of the classical "Hello world" when you start to learn how to program in a new language) - a sub vs a surface platform came to my mind.

The default platform for the mission is a Kilo, and for some reasons: no TA, no waterfall display, only two trackers: simple sonar to manage while you are learning to do other stuff. Also, ASuW is the Role of the Kilo, so it is appropriate.

You are doing manual TMA for the first time, there are so many concepts to absorb. Just do it in the less distracting and simpler scenario possible.
Just practice and become proficent, very proficient, in getting an optimal TMA in the shortest time you can get in these ideal conditions. Then, and only then start doing it in more complex scenario/conditions. But first, you have to be sure you completly grasped the basic.
The beginner can replay the scenario to 1) practice more 2) try different TMA tactics and directly experiment how and why leg sequences matters 3) experiment and learn with different platforms (different interfaces, different capabilities)

Also, I was inspired by the thesis/paper you have linked above (I read it completly al least 2 times), in fact I wanted a scenario for practicing the tactics explained there to become both more proficient in manual TMA and more conscious of what I'm doing and why, so that I can also choose to behave in different ways form the "ideal" one in different situations (knowing precisely why).

P.S.: please note that the situation you presents (4/10 contacts) in my opinion is addressed in the scenario "Contact madness" that shows how good are the "processing capabilities" of the seawolf class for tracking contacts (you and Otto have so many trackers to use...).
Also, in this kind of situation you can let Otto work for you to quickly establish sitational awarness and then reliquish control to manual to just track and prosecute the (one or two) REAL targets...
But all of this is more advanced, hence out of the context my simple scenario address...

Quote:
Originally Posted by p7p8 View Post
I think "point", "leg" and "lead" in DW is pointless because it is not SH type game. I prefer make course changing for better reasons like team tactic, monitoring enemy moves, evading tracking etc.
While I not agree with you when you say that ploint/lag/lead is pointless in DW, I completly agree with you with the rest!
But the aim of this scenario is to give a safe haven to the absolute beginner manual TMA skipper to practice and learn before going to do "real" missions... so to say! (solo missions, btw, not multiplayer ones).

Probably this scenario is absolutley uninteresting to the average skipper who already knows DW.

Last edited by banryu79; 09-16-16 at 03:29 AM. Reason: add title
banryu79 is offline   Reply With Quote