View Single Post
Old 10-15-23, 01:28 AM   #230
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Found this at the local book donation bin at Hannifords last time I was up in Maine:

Short but very engaging story:

Just tonight I read that Dick Van Dyke was in USAAF pilot training when it was determined more pilots wouldn't be needed. Since he really didn't want to be a tailgunner in a B-24 he joined the army's entertainment division. So he said he basically became an actor due to cowardice. My father was in the same position, pilots not needing trained anymore, so my father somehow became a parachute packer instead of a tailgunner. The story about Dick Van Dyke also mentioned that apparently the ball gunner position was the safest position of all, but maybe not the most comfortable.

Thread is too long to see if I mentioned this before, but in 8th grade I created an artist's representation of Colditz for a book report on "Escape from Colditz". Not sure it was accurate, but it looked pretty cool if I do say so myself.

I'm not sure I could say which is my favorite "The Great Escape" or "Stalag 17", they'd probably both belong in my top twenty movies I would choose if I had to sit in a room watching the same movies over and over again for eternity.