View Single Post
Old 07-09-18, 02:39 AM   #13
Mussalo
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolBrick View Post
My one problem with the XXI technically is the depth keeping in rough seas, if you set it to periscope depth in 15m/s wind, you will unintentionally surface, and half the time the periscope at full extension will be submerged. I shot my planes-man with a luger after surfacing momentarily in the middle of a hunter-killer group I had gotten into by sneaking in, their sonar is terrible in heavy seas. My recommendation is to set depth to 24m if you want to be able to look through the periscope soon, but not right now.
Yes, I have the same problem. XXI slowly rises towards surface from periscope depth. While I understand launching a torpedo decreases the mass of the sub thus increasing the buoyancy, this happens even without launching torpedoes and certainly wasn't a problem with VII or IX.

I think it could be related to other behaviour I witness with XXI: my good old CE, who is a veteran on controlling my subs, has now problems with hitting the target depth with XXI, always exceeding it by dozen meters or so. I guess his internal PID controller is not tuned to underwater speeds over 10 knots..