View Single Post
Old 03-20-11, 05:19 AM   #8
L.T
Torpedoman

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 0

Im a lucky one who have driven two of them and been sitting in the 3rd of them

In 95 i was on MBT training in a Area close to münster "bergen" and sat in the Pnz IV at the museum

In poland i was lucky to drive a T-34-85 when i was in millitary training in 96.

in 98 i had the chanse to dríve a Sherman in the US who was privatly owned by the father of a US soldier i got friends with in Bosnia.

Im not going to speak about armour or guns, just the crew side of things.

T-34-85 is a tractor on tracks, if not carefull the driver will wreck hes head doing ofroad driving at speed. The tank it self is small and when you look around in it you feel that this is made for direct combat. Its an awsome driving machine especialy of road, on road it feels sluggish and from what they told me it actualy tends to over heat. Its engine needs to be worked hard. Its not made for any small bit of crew comfort, and since its only the turret they did major changes to, the all ready small interior was getting filled up with radio gear etc that there realy isnt room for.

As a tank its impressive, werry simple, werry good off road driving and a gun that did the job. As a crew member, i wouldnt want to be in one of them..

Sherman (cant remember model)

Feels way different that the T-34-85. Drivers location is up high, but in combat you might feel abit exposed. Inside there is way more room, and the layout of it is easy to understand. Deffently no need for 6 months training to operate one. But my isue with it is that you dont feel safe. It drives decent, not the same terrain eater is the T-34, but it does it good. The narrow tracks compairing with the T-34 makes you kinda concerned driving in water or deep mud. I know it might sounds wierd, but i felt as safe in a Sherman as i did in a M113 APC.

Sherman is a decent tank. You have an average base, with average performance, good crew comfort compairing with the T-38, and an average gun (compairing it with German or Russian latewar Guns)

PNZ IV

Didnt drive it only sat in it and atleast back then it was not restored 100% inside(dont know if it is now) Sitting in it it feels more tank like, you do feel that you sit in an Iron coffin. There is no doubt that it was createt with efficiency in mind. It can be hard to figure out everything on it, but with training it feels more crew friendly than both the T-34 and the Sherman. All stations are effective in layout, every bit and bobs are placed for a reson, and there is nothing realy out of place. Driver have pretty good space and easy controlls radio operator Ball MG have almost the same space and i do understand the almost identikle layout on most of the German tanks atleast when it comes to driver/radio.

The best tank would be one

T-35-85 chassis
Panzer IV crew positions (layout)
Sherman turret
Russian 85mm gun
Russian engine
Sherman transmission
German sights (main gun)
German MG`s

ps.
About the front MG on the Panzer IV. I kinda had a laugh about it, but the tank i sat in had no way of disposal of the empty casings. I noticed 4 racks for ammo boxes around 250 rounds in each, that is 1000 empty casings on the floor of the radio operator. I know the front MG could have up to 2500 rounds stored. Down at the floor there is a wire canal for the wires to electrical stuf, its not closed all the way and will fit a casing. I could suspect that sometimes the hot casings doing prolonged firering could burn over some of the electrical wires or atleast burn over the insulation, causing electrical shortouts....I know both the MG34 and the MG42 had casing bags you could mount on the MG but there is not much room to have it and i realy dont think they would use it since it only carrys around 150 rounds and emptying it in combat would cause 10 secs with out protective fire from the MG...

**pps**
panzer 4 sight

Tanks Pz.lV originally equipped with monocular telescopic sight TZF 5b, but starting with Ausf.E-TZF 5f or TZF 5f / 1. These sights were 2.5-fold increase. MG 34 machine gun equipped with 1.8-fold telescopic sight KZF 2.

nice panzer IV arthicle
http://quazen.com/shopping/medium-ta...-construction/

Last edited by L.T; 03-20-11 at 05:39 AM.
L.T is offline   Reply With Quote