View Single Post
Old 03-19-11, 03:44 PM   #6
Freiwillige
The Old Man

Downloads: 24
Uploads: 0

Having the commander be the gunner is a terrible idea, First off who's watching out for other forces? If your head is in your gun sight you lose perspective of the bigger picture quickly.

Also I respectfully have to disagree with you on the Tiger that were not talking about. Everything I have ever read is that it was a dream to drive for a world war two tank and its wide tracks gave it a very light ground pressure. The only real negative I have read was that the interleaved wheels would get mud built up and that mud would freeze over night and the next day they would have a pillbox!

But neither snow nor mud nor sand was much of an issue for der Tiger.

I have a book about the Tiger I will have to dig out and reference but it discusses in detail the luxury like ride and amazing cross country mobility for a 57 ton tank.

Also the sights were so good infact that the British were able to do this according to a Wikipedia article~
"The Tiger's gun had a very flat trajectory and extremely accurate Leitz Turmzielfernrohr TZF 9b sights (later replaced by the monocular TZF 9c). In British wartime firing trials, five successive hits were scored on a 16 by 18 in (410 by 460 mm) target at a range of 1,200 yards (1,100 m)."

The same article states that the Tigers wide tracks and interleaved road wheel gave it less ground pressure than both the Sherman and the T-34!

Based on gunsights alone I would be curious to know what the Panzer IV uses?
Freiwillige is offline   Reply With Quote