Thread: Q9550 or 9650?
View Single Post
Old 06-09-09, 11:30 PM   #10
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

For I7 or Phenom II, I'd have to get a new board. I have a friend who would be very happy if I did , but I'm not quite finished with this one yet. Besides; new board > ddr3 > new CPU cooler > perhaps new PSU, etc, it's gonna keep adding up (trust me ). Once Core2 is ancient and the system can't keep up anymore, I will move on, but for the moment plugging in a fast quad will make sure it has a respectable lifespan.

Besides, gaming will be the main purpose, and at the moment even my current C2D is still overkill for most. There's only 1 game I know that is CPU limited on this thing. Video-encoding is done once in a blue moon, and I don't care if it takes 5 min more than on an I7; I've got 5 minutes to spare. Same for compression.

Thanks for the input, graphs and bars can be very tempting.

:rotfl:

7ghz?! That's retarded! 3:10 RAM ratio, unbelievable.

Something's up with his GPU though. 160 core, 250 mem can't be right for HD4800.

BTW, I get my parts from a local (NL) webshop. Cheaper than over the counter, but still a bit pricy. Everything over here is.

Though I see the Q9550 at newegg for $230,- (~165 euro, E75,- cheaper), there's no mention of which revision it is. At my usual shop I can get anything, not just what they have lying around and are trying to get rid off at the moment (probably C1). Buying from shops that purchase in bulk can be cheap, but in this case I have to insist on the latest revision of the chip.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote