View Single Post
Old 11-17-17, 02:15 PM   #46
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
Just got off the 'phone after the weekly scolding from my old mum and she was talking again about this boozer called The Grenadier in the country lane where she lived during the war (in Hildenborough, Kent).

It got flattened by the Luftwaffe in April 1941 and if you walk through a field near her old house you can still see the huge depression where the first of a stick of bombs fell. I've told her that the German was probably trying to scarper way from a fighter (they saw a number of such pursuits over the village).

No one got hurt; the landlord was in the cellar changing a barrel when the bombs hit.

In this same locality my mother was picking hops one day (as a 15 year-old) and watched as a burning Heinkel III came down for a forced landing in a nearby field, at Meopham Bank.

Here is an account published by the local historical society; she lived at 'Garlands' in Hildenborough throughout the war.

https://hildenboroughhistorysociety....enborough.html

I recently persuaded my mother to relate the event as she saw it for posterity, which testimony I'll post here shortly...