Old 03-12-17, 05:29 PM   #4191
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1110
Uploads: 10

Default Zero Mass

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
Yes, there are, but if I knew which Campaign files to start on I think I could make a dent in them. I just wouldn't want to step onto your toes if you're working in the same .mis file (like the ones you're going through with the Truk bottleneck).

Personally, I think I'd look at each ship's Max Speed figure first, to see if its reasonably accurate...and reasonable too. I did some checking, that Yubari was considered to have anywhere from 32 to 35 maximum speed (depending on what source you read), but its normal cruise speed could easily be less than that. We make a decision on what Max Speed to use, then make sure the craft doesn't list the speed between waypoints anything less than half.

I should point out, this does not mean the ship won't be heard if it drops below the set Speed= listed in the .mis file. It will be heard as expected, even if the ship is doing 2 knots. I found this out when I had that 20kt Yubari initial starting position going straight south 180 degrees, yet had the waypoint bearing at an angle from its start point. At the test mission start, it took the ship several minutes to correct for the change in direction, slowly building up speed as it changed bearing unto the end waypoint bearing. I could hear the ship just fine, below its set 20kt speed for the waypoint. Interestingly, I had two other Yubari CL's with their start bearing matching the direction of travel......the mission had them travelling at their set speed immediately after the mission start. One way, POOF, the ship is doing its set speed within seconds of the spawn. The other, it took minutes for it to come up to speed while it made the direction change.

This means circumstances like running in a slower convoy, or direction changes, or avoidance procedures will not effect a ships ability to be heard through manual hydrophone use.

If the Speed= for the ship (in its .mis file) is at least half its Max Speed= (from its .sim file) it will be heard.....no matter what speed it may end up traveling due to outside influences. We just need to keep this in mind when we make missions, or correct existing missions within FOTRS Ultimate.

================

Propbeanie, regarding the Truk video.......What a cluster puck!! That's a MESS!! The entire Japanese Naval arsenal looks like has decided to get together for a pow wow. My bottom line feelings are to make sure their lane of travel isn't restricted; eliminate most of them; make sure they exit the game on Waypoint End.
Capn,

This unit has been to weight watchers