Thread: AUKUS
View Single Post
Old 09-19-21, 03:45 PM   #46
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

^ NATO with or NATO without the US and UK...?

The issue is money, and numbers of platforms.
Also, differences in national mentalities. Just compare the public's attitude towards the military in the US, and in Germany. Black and White. Applaus there, ignoring the army, if not even looking down on it here.

German fighters mostly are grounded, due to technical reasons. Those that could fly, do not all fly , because of squadrons being unable to crew them all: not enough pilots. And the pilots that do fly, due to financial restrictions cannot log as many training hours in mid-air as they should, must and need. Thats how it was at least untol three or four years ago.

Attitude: I see as huge lack of warrior mentality and fighting spirit in many European armies, and especially the Germans. This sounds too unreal? No, it has serious consequences. The failing of the Dutch at Srebrenica is an example, I say. Intellectually many excuses have been given why it was "not possible" to stop the Serbs. Another mindset would have fought nevertheless, despite the odds, knpwing that the politcla fallout of a Serbian attack on a NATO contingent could have had devastating consequences for the Serbs - if only the political will would have materialised. Political lacking will also is an issue.

I list three books that together illustrate and paint a picture of what I am after (all titles are Links to click on):
Martin van Creveld: Pussycats. Why the rest keeps beating the West and what can be done about it. 2016
Martin van Creveld: The Culture of War. 2008
John Keegan: A History of Warfare. 1993

And for those being interested in the matter from different approach way: Musashi' Book of Five Rings (Go Rin no Sho).

Its even worse. Not only can we not fight anymore - we do not even see why we should want to be able to fight and defend ourselves.

Last edited by Skybird; 09-19-21 at 04:28 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote