View Single Post
Old 07-20-18, 05:13 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default The myth of ecological and financial value of e-mobility

There is this fairy tale of electric mobility being cheap and economic. I laugh about that since quite some time now. And I do not even talk about the ecological footprint of digging for lithium and producing the car or bus running on batteries. Mining lithium is an extremely dirty affair...

https://translate.google.de/translat...tos&edit-text=

Last year a neighbour sold his e-car, I am not certain, I think it was a Toyota, certainly a Japanese. He was shocked at the losses he had to accept while selling it. Reason: the battery technology already was so old (3 years ) that it cut the price for the car dramatically.

Every 6-8 months a more or less obvious new battery generation gets introduced by the industry, I read. Go figure what that means for the re-selling value of your e-car.

Myself, i bought myself an e-bike early this year. I love it, from Münster into the beautiful Tecklenburger and Osnabrücker Land, the hills and then the ever more hills of that region, strong winds - I must not care anymore : . Daily tour average is around 140km. But i did not buy it for soothing my ecological conscience, nor because I wanted to save money, of these two illusions I am cured since long. No. I bought it because it is FUN. Because it extends my operational range substantially (I have no car, and need none). But the friction on the chain is dramatical. After 3000km I am now using my fourth - reinforced - chain already. And yes, I clean and lube it very well.

There are calculations on the per-kilometer cost of ebikes. Everything factored in they show that they are as high as that of an average small car, gas-run. Sometimes they can be even higher.

If you buy yourself into e-mobility, do it. But don't do it because of illusions and fairy-tales. Dont buy it to save money - in the long run you wont - and dont buy it to buy yourself a bonus feel-well saldo for your ecological conscience (its not justified). Buy it to have fun and to enjoy it as such.

Fun is the only valid reason currently to buy into e-mobility. And I fear it wont stop to be like that for a long time to come. At last in Germany.

For buying an e-car, however, I see no valid excuse currently. fincally and ecologically it makes little sense. And the fun is not higher than in any other conventional car.

Stupid blind dogmatism costs a lot of money.