View Single Post
Old 10-08-10, 02:15 AM   #7
frinik
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Blaze of war

Skybird I honestly don't thin that Graviteam has any intention of competing head -on with SB.SB is too well established and has 10 years of experience and success.I think their aim is more modest; to close the gap between WWII sims and the iconic SB which focusses mostly on tank warfare from the 80s onward.There's a gaping hole with no post war sim covering the 50s and 60s ( I am excluding old games like M1 Platoon or T72 which were neither satisfying nor well done ) which produced interesting and innovative tanks; one can only think of the Chieftain, the T54/55,the Centurion, the M48, the M60, the Leopard 1, the T62/64, the AMX 13 & 30. THis is the period when the legends of the classical age (WWII) of tank warfare ; the Tiger I and II, the Panther and the T34/85 - to mention the best known - were transformed through technological progess and innovation (IR, modern telemetry, firing stabilisation systems, new protective armour, more powerful guns and shells and later on computer assisted firing systems) into the icons of modern tank warfare: the Leopard 2, the Abrams, the Challenger II, the Merkava, the T80 and T90 and others lesser known from France, Korea, Japan or the PRC.

Anyway the 50s and 60s still offer a taste of the old classic tank warfare and a foretaste of what modern would eventually become.

Graviteam is not into the arcade style of game so I have no worried about that.Their previous tank sims(SF and T72 Balkans on Fire) both incorporated cockpits and in their discussions they referred specifically to the interior of the M60 and the T62 so I think they are conscious of the appeal and importance of having them.As for the AI and the tactics it remains to be seen what they can achieve.But their Blaze of War is going to be based on their RTS Kharkov Front Roads/Achtung Panzer ! game engine which has received praise for all sides and excellent ratings for a very reactive and cunning AI. I see that game as a preparation or a side dish for SB not a replacement nor real competition.But I could be wrong! Anyway it will be interesting to compare the 2.... Hopefully the Mission Editor will be as easy to use as the one in SF and with the active community of Eastern European modders to back it up there should be plenty of support.BTW their aim are both the Western market and the Eastern .European one.

Cheers
frinik is offline   Reply With Quote