View Single Post
Old 03-16-18, 06:05 AM   #446
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32
Uploads: 0

10 March 1943

Kotka is bombed. One civilian is killed and four wounded.

Finnish daily losses: 20

Sentry at Rukajärvi.

11 March 1943

Aunus Group: "Our snipers have killed 43 enemies between 1.-10. March."

Maaselkä Group: "Our Snipers have killed 51 enemies between 1.-10. March."

Finnish daily losses: 13

12 March 1943

US ambassador William H. Standley meets with Molotov in Moscow to discuss the possibility of the US acting as intermediary in possible peace negotiations between the Soviet Union and Finland.

Quote:
For the Acting Secretary. Our [Your] 126, March 9, 10 p.m. After referring to our conversation of [January] 29 I read to Molotov last evening a carefully prepared statement setting forth all the considerations contained in your telegram. Molotov at first stated that the answer to your proposal would depend on the attitude of the present Finnish Government and asked me how the American Government evaluated that attitude; specifically whether there were any indications that the Finns desired to withdraw from the war and initiate negotiations. I replied that we had not sounded out the present Finnish Government on the matter and therefore had no definite information; that as I had stated we were prepared to do so but we thought it would be helpful if we knew for our personal guidance whether if we obtained indications that the Finns desired peace the Soviet Government would accept the United States as an intermediary. I added that in my opinion there must be some basis for the belief that the Finns desired peace otherwise any [my?] Government would not have made the proposal to act as intermediary. Molotov then stated “he was, of course, interested in the proposal; however, to judge whether it would be advisable to adopt a positive decision in the matter it was necessary to ascertain whether there are any prospects of success”. He repeatedly expressed interest in our evaluation of the Finnish desire to withdraw from the war and I stated that I would seek your views on this question.

Molotov promised to inform his Government of your proposal and to communicate with me again.

Throughout the conversation he made no mention whatsoever in regard to the conditions of peace.
Source: https://history.state.gov/historical...us1943v03/d171

Finnish daily losses: 18

13 March 1943

Finland receives its first 16 Messerschmitt Bf 109 G2 fighters from Germany.

Detachment Marttina's 28-man LRRP unit is ambushed near Jelettijärvi while crossing lake Astamajärvi. Five men are killed.

The book "Sissisotaa Kaukopartiossa - Osasto Marttinan partiokertomukset 1943-1944" while containing a good number of patrol reports, makes no mention of this patrol. It is possible the records were lost as part of "Operation Stella Polaris" -Dowly

Finnish daily losses: 13

The scarred terrain at Summa.

14 March 1943

No entry.

Finnish daily losses: 20

Assault team rushing through the gap in the obstacles. (training)

15 March 1943

Karelian Istmus: "One of our patrols attacked an enemy forward base in the Lempaala area. Three living dug-outs were destroyed along with estimated 15 enemies. Own losses 1 officer + 7 NCOs."

Finnish daily losses: 16

16 March 1943

Detachment Puustinen's large LRRP unit (581 men) attacks the village of Jeljärvi and destroys approximately 30 buildings used as storages. Further, the unit cuts the Murmansk track in several spots. The unit loses 33 men as KIA/WIA/MIA.

14.D/Rukajärvi report in HQ's war diary:

Quote:
Detachment Puustinen started its attack in Jeljärvi at 1015hrs. Own planes provided aerial cover starting from 1100hrs. Pilots report that the Jeljärvi RR station was on fire and a building near it had been exploded. Many dead horses around the area. In the village itself, eight buildings on fire, one blown up. On the south side of the village, six long storage buildings on fire, on the southeast side of the airfield three buildings on fire. Downed six enemy planes, four unconfirmed. Enemy reinforcements seen in the Onihmajärvi terrain. Detachment Puustinen withdrew from Jeljärvi at 1212hrs. Enemy seen pursuing them at 1300hrs. Estimated enemy losses 85 dead.
Finnish daily losses: 30
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote