Old 01-23-15, 10:07 PM   #456
TheGeoff
Planesman

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by arl85 View Post
Hi,
first of all I want to express all my admiration for this incredible work you are doing!

I just want to report you a couple of things:
it seems that in several screen (ex: periscope) you can change depth using +/- keys, but in F1 help this info is missing (at least in periscope mode).

Strictly related, I found that only in map mode you can see ordered speed (but not ordered depth) so I suggest to always display speed, depth and heading together with ordered one

and now some questions:
  1. is there any advantage in stopping damaged systems while repairing? is there any "danger" in repairing a working damaged turbine, for example?
  2. how does the algorithm for selecting a crew member when ordering "repair" or "assess damage" at cursor work? it seems that when I order "assess damage" a crew member is called, but when ordering a repair from the "damage assessment" view, another different member is called.
    is it only related to assigned compartment/task permission or are experience in specific field and equipped equipment also considered ?

finally a bug report: while trying to save my sinking sub, I locked some bulkheads.
after a while, game started complying about "unable to find path". I thought "it's normal, no problem".
But after several cycle of different crewmembers complaining game hanged as how it was in a infinite loop. I'll try to give you more info next time.
Glad you're enjoying the game! Thank you for these reports, I'll look into fixing them for the next update.

To answer your questions:

1. Some systems can explode if they are running with certain components damaged. For example - if a turbine is badly damaged, and you repair the rotor before repairing the speed governor, the rotor will spin too quickly and rapidly tear itself apart again. If you are unlucky, the repairman might be hit by shrapnel or the turbine may catch fire. To avoid situations like this, you should shut down the machinery before attempting repairs. It's especially useful for damaged nuclear reactors - if you shut down the reactor you can run the pumps at a lower speed, which will decrease the rate of radiation emission.

2. This is a bit of a bug. When you order repairs from the damage assessment screen, the game searches for a nearby crewman who is qualified and isn't busy. The guy performing the damage assessment counts as busy, because he's performing a damage assessment. This should be fixed some time soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa15 View Post
Geoff,

First off all. Thank you for the best cold war/modern sub game ever! I like most of you have spent countless hours playing SHIII with GWX, which I loved, and I havent played for a while.

I have always dreamed about an excellent cold war/modern war submarine simulator and this is so excellent. I stumbled across this just a couple days ago.

There is one feature that I really want. Is it possible to play the game in real time? So instead of a minute passing every second, the game would operate at real time. They way it is now can be a little arcadey when in combat. If it could operate at real time, so that you have time to manuever and everything, that would be great! With torpedoes moving in real time too.

I have lowered the game speed in the game options, but, that is more just a frame per sec speed, and lowering it too much makes it impossible to play. Unless you fine clicking non stop until you hit it during the frame.

Also, are you planning on adding countermeasures or am I just missing that?

Lastly, this would be so great on ios! Any plans for that? I know you want this game to be free, but, I would easily pay for this on ios.

Thanks!
A few people have asked for a real-time mode so I'll look into adding it in a future update. It will require changing a few things around but shouldn't be too difficult. Good suggestion!

Countermeasures are planned, but they haven't made it into the game yet. Possibly next update - they're a pretty important part of submarine warfare so I'll add them as soon as possible.

iOS compatibility is unfortunately not possible as far as I know. Compiling the game for iOS or Android would require the entire game to be rewritten in a different language, which is not something I plan to do any time soon. People have managed to run the game on a Windows tablet though, and Sashkakuhta managed to get the game running on an Android phone using a Wine emulator: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...36#post2262136
So it might be possible using some kind of emulator... let me know if you try it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnzorlol View Post
I love this game, but I keep encountering a bug everytime I play. Whenever I launch a missle, it launches fine, but most of the time it impacts wherever I sent it, it crashes the game. This isn't always the case, sometimes it impacts, but then when the other nations launch missles as well the next missle impact crashes the game. Is there any fix? I have tried increasing my memory and running as admin, but I still get no luck
How long ago did you download the game? A couple of weeks after the release of the last version I updated it to fix this (hopefully it worked!). Try redownloading the game and see if the bug continues to occur.
TheGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote