View Single Post
Old 01-04-11, 02:08 PM   #2
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

I've never flown with simplified avionics, so I'm not familiar to what extent it simulates the various modes - I actually encourage you to learn the more realistic one if you can. The general answer for any difficulty though is... do you need that SMS display on at all times? It's really only useful when you're setting up weapon parameters in AA or AG mode.

The easy way around it regardless of mode, though, is the [ and ] keys - these quickly switch between MFD pages on the two MFDs. Remember that for every mode, besides the MFD page that is already on, there are also 3 pages in the background that you can pre-configure and switch to at any time. One of these pages is (almost) always the HSD, so hit the [ or ] buttons and see what you get with the MFDs. You can think of these as different windows on your PC or tabs in a browser - your MFDs are both kind of like that, and it's easy to switch between these pages.

By default, whenever I fly my left MFD (almost) always has the FCR (i.e. radar) page on, and the right MFD is on HSD. I only switch away from those when absolutely necessary (e.g. to program weapon settings), using HOTAS shortcuts for the [ and ] keys. SMS is not the kind of page you need to have on all the time, really - you generally have enough feedback elsewhere (like your HUD) to keep track of your weapon numbers and settings.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote