Old 11-28-09, 03:51 AM   #58
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Uploads: 0
Default Motion to strike on the grounds of relevancy your Honor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padvotke View Post
Why do we need all of this ? Where the snake lies ? IMHO the reason of such celebrities has a hidden meaning. Like we all should be monolithic in our minds at subsim communitee Does this award show is pointing the way to perfectionalism or something ? Or describing how should a perfect member be like ? If this is a road sign to perfectionalism at subsim.com and let's say everybody starts struggling for a peace of empty honour over the internet and what then ? The winners of this show should be held better than the rest of us ? Well if you ask me I don't think the result of this awards is going to strengthen the unity of this communitee, has anyone though of reversed effects ? I like sharing my point of view and it's not trolling like someone might see it

"Why do we need all of this?" I can understand that sentence.

What are you trying to say in the next sentence about the snake? That sentence must be a metaphor but it has a meaning beyond my comprehension.

"Like we all should be monolithic in our minds at subsim communitee." Again, I do not understand the meaning. Monolithic is adjective. I think you have used it as a noun. If used is an adjective, you probably intended it describe the word "We." If so, then I think you are questioning whether declaring a candidate the "best" reflects a somewhat rigid, inflexible uniformity by the committee [i.e. 3 a : constituting a massive undifferentiated and often rigid whole <a monolithic society> b : exhibiting or characterized by often rigidly fixed uniformity <monolithic party unity.]

I think the answer to your analysis is not overly complicated. The lead participants at the web site want to honor one or more persons who contribute to a dynamic forum. Merely being nominated is an honor. For example, the funniest post OTY sends a message that not only is the author funny, but his humor contributes to the site in a intangible but very real way.

Another point I wish to make is that raising your objection in the very thread where nominations are made is inappropriate in my opinion. It should be done in a separate thread which you could have started for that purpose. Your post questions and detracts from the nominations, and is a direct challenge after the fact to the decision to have the process go forward in the first instance - a decision which has already been made. You have interfered with it, and you could have avoided that by raising objections and questions in a separate thread. I suggest that Padvotke's post and related posts be transferred to a separate thread for that purpose.