View Single Post
Old 07-13-17, 12:09 PM   #210
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLF View Post
What is the LLH_LaPlate.tga file for in the Library folder for? Doesn't seem to be referenced either in LLH_LaPlate.dat, Lighthouse_Parts.dat or Lighthouse_FX.dat?

I'm trying to understand (perhaps I shouldn't ) how this all hangs together.
The name of the texture file is 'LH_LaPlate.tga', with one 'L'. If you look at any of the materials using it, it is referenced: the 'Enable explicit texture' checkbox is checked, and 'Texture name' field is set to 'LH_LaPlate.tga'. This is all it takes for the game to look for the correct texture in the unit's/object folder, or in one of the 'Textures' subfolders.

Either I didn't get your point, or you are confusing texture linking with texture embedding. When the latter method is used, textures are stored directly in the dat file, and no external texture is required. I din't want embedded textures though, because in my model multiple materials share the same texture; if I embedded it multiple times, one for each material using it, I would have unnecessarily increased the disc and RAM memory usage. The way I have it, in theory the texture is loaded in memory only once (if devs made a clean job).
Moreover, using texture linking over texture embedding enables an higher degree of flexibility. SHIV and SH5 modders are familiar with linked textures which are set as configurable (similar to sensors and equipments). Unfortunately, this feature is reportedly supported by SHIII (ask Jeff Grooves on that) but unknown to most modders, and not used at all in stock game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLF View Post
I've bee importing a couple of models from sketchup, but each part has individual texture files (quite laborious) rather than one big one.
I know. Those sketchup guys must be crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by urfisch View Post
interesting work!
Thank you for the encouragement Captain!
gap is offline   Reply With Quote