View Single Post
Old 10-28-23, 08:11 PM   #9
ElCid97
Gunner

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 5

Good Evening!

As promised, here's what I have as of tonight. Unfortunately I'm getting a few CTD's lately, but I think it's because of the display. I'm still playing with the setting in the card-controller software (AMD-type), so it may be a while before (or if) I'm able to stabalize enough to negate the CTD's. Maybe more RAM, but it's a 2013 machine I litterally just got for free from a friend that was going to throw it out since he got a better rig. It's better than the 2009 machine I was working with, so ...

Anyway, here's the pics!

This is the cover that replaces the "Merchant Shipping" tag. It's based on an index card image I found online somewhere. As you can see, the scaling resolution setting of "1" instead of "2" seems to work well for the 1920x1080 resolution I'm running:

I may just change that to "ONI-209 Classifications" since it covers ALL the merchants in the game (thanks, Ubi) and not just the Japanese.

This is the original game's Victory ship. It's now renamed with the proper ONI-209 nomenclature. Well, at least I think so, anyway. Let me know if I mis-counted or mis-identified a mast or kingpost/"Sampson" post in the count:

I'm still in the process of changing ALL the static naming to something that makes sense. Here's an example of the static "Mavis" where I just made it so that it's "Moored" instead of whatever it was before:

I'm going to do the same with the AI boats and PBY's, etc.

There were cases where the ship in question was labeled one thing, but the "Type" in the "cfg" file was something else. Here's an example:

It's labeled as a DE, but the type is a "Frigate" (PF). The "Waka-something-or-other" is another example. So is the "SU1" type minelayer, which is actually a "Clemson" class DD which was converted and had a stack removed. I recoded that one to (DD/DMS) and named it "Clemson Class" but didn't change anything that would cause the missions to get broken since I didn't change anything "left of" the "=" sign.

Here's an example of an (AO) -- in this case, a T3 tanker:

Again, the ONI-209 as best I could make it.

Just so I'm not confusing anyone: I'm doing the ONI-209 stuff based on the IN-GAME ships that are present, NOT THE HISTORICAL. This is important to understand since the historical data may say one thing, but the sim has something different programmed. Nothing against the devs, but it didn't make any sense to me to use FULL historical data if it won't help the user actually ID what's in their sights.

Here's a listing of what I have activated which, I believe, are the only "ship-related" mods to get data from:

FotRSU 1.8
Nippon Maru 1.9
Nihon Kaigun 1.2

That's why I'm considering posting a "beta" at some point to ask for some feedback/help with the M-K-F, etc, since someone may consider something a kingpost while others may say that it's a mast.

Combine that with the fact the historical documents may say a T3 was SUPPOSED to have X,Y,Z order, and you can see where it may get confusing.

That's why I'm going with what's in the sillouette images and not necessarily the ONI.

I am, however, using the ONI as reference and am including some charts which I'm using by adding them to the radio page.

The strategic map with the convoy lanes is gone, but it's going to get placed elsewhere in the boat. I'm checking to see what the best position is within the different strategic maps for the chart tables in the conning towers.

Some boats, like the S-Boats, have a more rectangular and bigger display. Others are smaller, while others are more square than rectangular. It's a toss-up. I'll go through all the 6-7 different maps so that none of them are cut off like I saw in a few boats already with the current release of the targeting assistant (grammaphone mod).

I was going to post a shot of the new radio page here, but the CTD killed that for now. Let me troubleshoot and I'll get back to you!

Regards,

ElCid97

PS: Got the thing somwhat stable. Definately my graphics. May be RAM, who knows. Here's the shot I was missing for the radio page:

Last edited by ElCid97; 10-28-23 at 09:14 PM.
ElCid97 is offline   Reply With Quote