Thread: Shark tactics?
View Single Post
Old 04-05-11, 08:52 AM   #19
moose1am
Frogman

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

The future is fuel cell submarines that don't need to surface very often now. They can stay underwater for long periods of time and don't need oxygen to run diesel generators to recharge the batteries. They make their own electricty by taking sea water and splitting the oxygen from the hydrogen and storing that on board the sub. Then they use the fuel cells to recombine the oxygen and hydrogen to produce water and electricity. That's the modern enemy of the future and they are hear today. They have little or no moving parts in the power plants. IE they are very very quiet and still very dangerous to surface shipping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krauter View Post
I'm not really familiar with Modern ASW Warfare.. all my subsim experience is in either a Gato, Type 9 or Type VII.

Because of this, the difference between Narrow Band, High Frequence, Low Frequency, Medium Frequency Sonars is zero for me. I have not a clue what they're individually used for, so bear that in mind when I comment

As you say your contact is an SSK, thus meaning he's a diesel electric submarine, could you not try to keep within the general vicinity of the submarine and wait until he snorkels to recharge his batteries? I'm not sure if there's a specific frequency of detecting those sounds at long range, but I presume a snorkelling submarine is pretty loud, not to mention susceptible to being detected by radar (Does ACTUV have radar?)

Moose1am

My avatar resembles the moderator as they are the ones that control the avatar on my page.
moose1am is offline   Reply With Quote