View Single Post
Old 03-23-18, 10:25 PM   #3598
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

SH3 is older and shows it. On the other hand it benefitted from a modding flurry that SH4 never did. With SH3 you can take a choice from several excellent supermods which alter the gameplay, the graphics and a host of other things. If you like you can go through the Kiel Canal with cities and sights to see, plus locks with working gates if that suits your fancy.

Along with the supermods there is the tool SH3 Commander, which allows you to control game parameters with the click of a button, write your own patrol reports, and even have the game assign historical names to the ships you sink.

SH4 could have had all that, but it came along too soon after SH3 and the modders didn't want to do all that work over again, so SH3 is definitely better in most regards. On the other hand it's really too bad it never happened, and probably never will, because SH4 is a better platform, looks better and has some better routines. Still both are good.

It's probably just me, but I'd never buy anything from Steam. While I prefer owning the disc, if you have to download it do so from Amazon.