Thread: Shark tactics?
View Single Post
Old 04-08-11, 01:56 AM   #29
Enigma738
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Hey guys, I finally came out of lurking on these boards to add my thoughts to the discussions.

So far I've just had a few runs with it tonight and have the game play down pat. Apart from my very first run, I've been in the Triton all this time, so I don't have much to add to the Shark discussion so far.

What I *can* bring to the table is a neat and relevant topic from the realms of artificial intelligence. No matter how 'smart' an AI agent may appear, it's often just doing the same thing we're doing - searching for the minimums and maximums for a problem. Understandably, a computer is much better suited for the raw calculations, hence why we trust in Excel to plot out our functions when we want to make sense of things.

The flip side to this is that we possess a HUGE advantage over a given computer in that we've been around for far longer and have thus gathered much more experience in life. All those hours of playing catch, watching traffic to know when it's safe to cross, those are all examples of us using the basic object tracking skills we have. We're way better than we give ourselves credit for!

... In fact, we're so good at making very quick and rational decisions with such reliability that it's common to collect data from human trials in complex scenarios to save the young and fresh AI agent from having to learn on its own. Collectively, we're striving for the top scores and figuring out tactics, consider it being a parent to the brains that will make ACTUV run. Without the help gathered from this software, it'd take a lot of resources to essentially re-invent the wheel.

After collecting enough data from us the computer can start to make use of its talent with numbers to smooth out our human mistakes, like hitting the wrong key, or selecting the best strategies to work with for each small part of the problem. Stitch those together and you have yourself a fairly well suited brain for tactical tracking!

Pretty neat stuff, I have to say, hope it's an enjoyable read!
Enigma738 is offline   Reply With Quote