View Single Post
Old 10-31-11, 03:23 PM   #71
0rpheus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 87
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halface View Post
guess you dont sacuba dive....kinda same princiaple...specilly useing drysuit....lower down you get the air get more compressed...had a ballon with me down and it was big first but down on 20m it was rather small...

neeed to read more about the historic facts but..to maintain depths below 150*m you have to have some spead so the dive planes can maintain the depth ...kinda logical too but it all deppends how realistic you wont to play the game..
Yeah, I know buoyancy decreases the lower you go, but at the same time I'd be surprised to find that it was impossible to maintain a constant depth lower than 150m at any speed but stopped. I guess in reality your crew would be working the planes and trim tanks to keep you as stable as possible, rather than sitting there like idiots doing nothing while the boat sinks to its doom!

Problem with the current method is, unless you have 7 or 8 hours to spend at your PC dealing with DD depth charges after an attack, you're bound to use a little TC when escaping. Not holding depth lower than 150 makes this very difficult, and it also negates any extra depth a given hull might have over another (7a vs 7c41, for example, which has a lower test depth), except in circumstances where you've lost control and are sinking (and lets face it, by that point it's probably too late, regardless!).

Yo-yo-ing the boat manually is currently the only way to get around this, and that doesn't feel terribly realistic either! I think 'realism' is what you make of it, and everyone has different opinions on what isn't appropriate - so this is just me hoping someone will make my SH5 life a teeny bit easier, realism be damned

*just realised it's 170m not 150 - but during play, sitting at 170m, a single DC close by will push you below the threshold and begin sinking. During heavy bombardments I get knocked up to 10m or so lower, depending on the circumstances, so I stay at 150 because it's the only way to be sure I won't get pushed past the sink line!
0rpheus is offline   Reply With Quote