View Single Post
Old 01-16-17, 05:55 AM   #603
TheGeoff
Planesman

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothandnail View Post
First, can I say I love love _love_ this game.
And that comes from a guy who basically only ever plays Nethack, Dwarf Fortress, and Tracon II.

While I think there is still plenty of room for growth in this game (and I do hope it does grow!) there is only one feature that I so wish were incorporated now: an option to allow the pumps to continue to work at depth.

I realize that it may not be realistic for the bilge pumps to work below 90 meters or so, and maybe defaulting to realism is fine. But it would be so much fun to battle the incoming water and try to make repairs as the sub sinks toward crush depth. I've lost many many subs that could have been saved if the pumps even partially worked below 90 meters. (My lame solution right now is to fast-drive the sub into shallow water, and get magically snapped up above 90 meters when it hits the shallow bottom. It's not like that's realistic either.)

This problem actually got me interested in how deep bilge pumps actually work on real subs. Turns out, this is not something easily google-able.

TL;DR: Add an option to allow the pumps to work continue working at any depth. I wouldn't care if they continued working minimally below 90 meters, or if it's easier, just an option to disable the pump depth limitation altogether.

Thanks so much!
You have a great point here, would be better if the pumps never quite cut out completely so there is still a (slim) chance of recovery. I've made a small modification so that this is possible -

First, download the new .exe file here and put it in the main Sub Commander folder: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8sx2qzoncw...0_28b.zip?dl=1
Then, for each sub you want to use, go to the /subs/[sub name]/performance.ini file and add the following lines at the bottom:
Code:
[ SYSTEMS ] 

min_pump_flow_rate_limit = 150
This will mean the pumps will always be able to operate at up to 150 litres/minute, regardless of depth. The performance will still be better at the surface and drop as you dive down towards 90 metres, but this means they will never become completely useless. You can tweak this value to your liking. Let me know how it goes!
TheGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote