View Single Post
Old 07-21-10, 07:36 PM   #158
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Actually I was looking at the dockside people and thinking how much they add to the game. I have no idea how to "drag and drop" them, but I intend to find out.
The characters in port reside in a dat file. The harbor files make reference calls to the characters in said dat file. All ubi did, was delete these same dat files from SH4. Soo. POOF, no more characters in port. But copy these dat files from SH3, back to SH4 (IE drag and drop), POOF, they appear again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Well, once again I find myself totally lost. SH3 has those simple .lnd, .rnd and .scr files and opening them with the Mission Editor lets you look add ships to the harbors quite easily. SH4 has dozens of different files and I don't even know which ones to look in.
The easiest way to explain it is to take apart a campaign_RND.mis file in SH3 and examine it's contents. What exactly is, in this file?

Single merchants.
Merchant Convoys,
Troop convoys.
Task forces
Hunter kill groups.

And you have all of those, for the entire war, All located in one file. Go back and look at one of those files in sh3. Kinda cluttered isn't it? Wouldn't it be nice to just look at what you wanted to work on? Maybe even by year or time period? This is exactly what SH4 does. It seperates all those random group types, into their own file.

But if everything is in its own file, how does it all come together into a single file being read like in SH3's campaign_RND.mis?

campaign.cfg

This cfg file is what tells the game, what MIS files to load, and when. Go back and look at how the stock files for the fleet boat campaign are named. If you were to combine ALL the files named

Jap_merchant
Jap_Convoys,
Jap_Troop_convoys.
Jap_TaskForce

into one file, you'd have a campaign_RND.mis from SH3.

Now the thing here is the game only loads the files as it needs them by date. If its Jan 1943, the game will only load the files for that year. It does not load all the traffic for the entire war at once. This is one reason why SH4 loads much quicker then SH3.

The beauty of this if you want to add jap subs, just write their own layer, and make the campaign.cfg entry. Bingo. done. game loads it in the years specified. quick and clean.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote