vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
I heard a rumor that hate can cause cancer
...Hmm...

If that were true, given how Trump is continuously and angrily raging against real and imagined slights or enemies, and given Trump is well known to engage in long-running feuds, and given Trumps is well known to harbor hatred long after the object of hate has moved on, given all of that Trump should be one great, massive, and complete malignancy...

Hold on... Mr. Quatro may be on to something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Vienna,

yes to all that. However, in the main I wanted to object Platapus' objection to FullMetalADCAP. Gates did not start to give away money and by acting this altruistically he became a billionaire. He made his fortune before he started to give it away.

My side-strike on tax tricks probably was not needed, yes. Sorry for that. I even knew what you described in more detail. Some devil led my fingers there.
I'm not really sure what you mean when you say He made his fortune before he started to give it away."; it is rather difficult to give away something if you don't have it first. I think you may be referring to the situation among a lot of the rich where a person has inherited wealth (ala Trump, etc.) and has essentially a sinecure from the start of their working life. Gates did come from a fairly well-off family; his father is a noted attorney and had built a sizeable fortune, though not massive. Bill Gates actually did not rely on his family's wealth nor did he follow in his father's footsteps as an attorney; instead, Bill found an outlet for his particular genius in computers and built his own wealth; he din't even finish college, so one of the world's richest men is a college dropout...

What Bill Gates did get from his father was a great sense of philanthropy: Bill Gates, SR. is a well-known and respected philanthropist for social causes...

I do have a particular respect for those who do make their fortunes and then seek to help others rather than engage in primarily acquisitive endeavors or fritter away their wealth. What is interesting is how a great many of the philanthropists who devote a larger portion of their wealth to charities are most often those who actually created their own wealth rather than inheriting it without effort...

<O>