View Single Post
Old 04-01-07, 07:00 AM   #19
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgalileo
Do you know how many french soldier were killed during the 5 weeks of the german assault ? I don't think,Ii will give you the number 91,000 and 232,000 were wounded report this to the total population of France in 1940 and compare with all the US troops lost during the all WW2.
Thats an interesting argument. The US like to pride themselves how they defeated the Nazis - when in fact they were just wiping off the floor after the Russians had broken the back of Germanys military power, while Britain held out in the West. If under any real pressure (like during the Battle of the Bulge) American morale began to collapse like in any other Army (except the Japanese maybe). Americans were great soldiers, they displayed their superior qualities in many battles, especially in the Pacific, but they have no reason to look down on anyone.

The US decided the war, but they didn't win it - that credit belongs to Russia, and to a lesser extend to Britain.

I do think, however, the French were without a chance because they were the most battle weary after WWI, and many accepted the inevitable, especially as the Nazis were accepting the French on Racial terms, showing a sincere interest in their culture, and treating them relatively better than most occupied countries (I say relatively, of course they still treated them bad!).

I agree that the French must take the blame for the Treaty of Versailles, but that was the time, and it was not like they had no reason. Think of 1871, think of the level of destruction in Eastern France. The Kaisers terms, had he won the war, would have been even more unfair and there would certainly have been another war in any case.

GE

P.S. Vive la France!

GlobalExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote