View Single Post
Old 11-27-09, 02:11 PM   #53
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Uploads: 0
Default Supplement to my mod of the year nominations

As the committee has no doubt taken note, I have nominated three mods/programs. Easy Aob, Solution Solver, and TMO 1.9.

I made my case for Easy Aob and Solution Solver in a previous post.

Here is a case for TMO 1.9, although I confess that others are probably more qualified to present it. They are welcome to do so.

I am a player and not a modder, so it is from this perspective I comment. This mod brings together many other advanced mods. Ducimus, and I understand Lurker, were the driving forces. It updates many facets of the game and has what I describe as many "cool" additions/functions such as the deep dive and crash dive functions. For example, submarine layouts are different and allegedly more historically accurate, and submarine speeds are adjusted for various boats, also for historical accuracy. In a crash dive scenario the boat angles downward steeply during the course off the dive. The crew is changed and specialized crew are available in certain cases. The upshot of these, and the many other changes, is it finally feels like someone got the game "right" from a historical and "game play" perspective. The TMO thread shows that Ducimus is responsive to captain's requests that maintain the historical accuracy he apparently strived to achieve, and it is evident from the constantly updated list of game fixes announced in the 1.9 thread. Unlike single mod fixes, the upgrade to 1.9 can be compared to training Michaelangelo about WW2 submarine warfare and computer technology, and letting him loose to bring the game to life.

I would describe TMO 1.9 as nothing less than a Tour de Force. Ducimus' comment about not wanting any part of a popularity contest should be disregarded. There are worthy competitors for this award. Whoever wins will have earned it if the committee follows their guidelines.

I once saw a picture of a young Thomas Edison sitting next to a small table with his arm around the world's first phonograph. He looked as if he had not slept for a week. It reminds me of Ducimus, and the old saying that genius is 1 percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration. He has given us a newly constructed phonograph. We get to play it.

Last edited by I'm goin' down; 11-28-09 at 05:05 AM. Reason: my proofreading is abysmal; additional language inserted