View Single Post
Old 02-14-14, 02:03 AM   #3
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Thanks Steve. If you could post or PM me what you have for surface ships. Ideally, a good example of every major ship type: small merchant, medium merchant, large merchant, patrol craft, destroyer, light cruiser, etc., etc. I consider the merchants and the DD's to be most important. There is no hurry though. I want to finish the subs first.

The way I have been testing the subs is to push them to maximum speed, then put them into a 180 deg. turn. I record the minimum speed reached, and the diameter of the turning circle. I know enough now to be able to manipulate the speed drop off, and turning circle (at least within limits).

I did get some help with the subs, so I can proceed with this part.

Also, does anyone know exactly what the stats are for the S-18 and S-42 classes are? The values used in RFB and what I found in Wikipedia and Valor at Sea are very different, and I'm not sure what to use.

S-18
displacement 800/1062 tons
draft 15.1 ft.

RFB
displacement 944/1325 tons
draft 17.25 ft.

On a less happy note, I am vexed by the issue of submerged range (i.e. battery capacity), and recharging. The RFB file values indicate a range of 100 mi. @ 5 kts., but the boat won't go much beyond 40!
Putting in larger numbers does no good. I can decrease the range, but have no way to increase it. This aspect of the game seems to be broken, but maybe someone has some secret knowledge about this.
I've played around with different things to try to beat this problem, but have only gotten very odd and undesirable results.
For example, I tried setting the range to 30 mi. @ 30 kts. to trick the game into allowing a greater range. Using 50% of the battery allowed ~ 22 mi., slightly better than with the 30 mi. @ 5 kts. (17 mi.), but when I tried recharging the battery, I found I had to recharge it for 4 days to get a 9% increase! At this rate, it would be better to leave the batteries in port, and become a surface raider.

TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote