View Single Post
Old 11-16-23, 10:20 PM   #53
Fidd
XO

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

There have been a few changes to the engines, mostly slight simplification as regards "going up though the gears" on the e-motor. It's now also possible to flood the cylinders with sea-water, which I believe was not a thing when the Academy film was made. There are also a number of problems one can get into with exceeding the motor-current, particularly when recharging.

I do not know, but I would not be surprised to see, an edited version of the training film to bring things up to date, or, a new film to cover these new bits at some point before the patch. If no such film is produced there should now be a small cadre of us who've been practicing whilst testing, who can give advice and take you through the basics. Expect to spend a LOT of time doing the "walk of shame" to reset the breakers! I know I did - and occasionally still do!

Even when you've learned the usual evolutions, you'll find that you may need to come to some agreement about how things are done with your usual captain, especially if it's just you at the back. For example, ringing Half-Ahead on diesels AND recharge, is (IMHO) best done with both diesels charging, and with as many rpm as you manage before the motor (generator in this case) current is exceeded. This will recharge very quickly, whereupon the e-motors are turned off, and full-power with diesels brought up. The reasons for this are twofold. One, it'll mean equal thrust from both props at all times, which will mean the helmsman is happy, as it'll be easier to hold a heading. Two, it'll allow the diesels to warm slowly during that charge period, and you'll find it much easier to later develop full power. That just works for me and my skipper. A certain amount of exploration and discussion may be required, as if your captain asks for full power on stone cold engines... the answer sometimes is just "Can't!"

Plan on 3 weeks utter chaos until this shakes down, and try and hook up with an ex-tester, most will have a reasonable idea of how to operate the engines, or at least, what works for them!

Lastly, expect some changes to now common routines. Some previously simple routines, such as nailing a particular speed, are harder now because you can only adjust it according to what you're told, and exactly getting a given speed on diesels is much less straightforward. Similarly, doing a "quick stop" to zero kts, currently easy, will required more teamwork and will be much harder than currently, or at least doing do quickly is.
Fidd is offline   Reply With Quote