View Single Post
Old 08-16-08, 12:31 PM   #20
Friction150
Gunner

Downloads: 98
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdq4587
Don't be mad. Don't say impossible is nothing. And don't say "every aspect of this game has been changed". There are many aspect I want to change that can not be change. I want the sea graphics in SH4. I want the measure distance method in SH4 (show 2 image at same time). I want can not hear the sound from another ship in sonar if there are land between my u-boat and that ship. I want I can control pump how much water. But I know there are no way to get these in SH3.

I just make a littel mod patch to against one program flaw on TDC auto update. If I can touch the game source code, I only need change about 10 to 30 lines. But the fact is I took much time to struggle with that flaw. And the solution is not perfect. Although I am glad to think it's acceptable and helpful.

And about script. Some game do have running able script (I mean in fact a program language like Lua). But these config files you called script are not really script. They are in fact data file. The program read these as parameters to decide what to do. So you can change do how much, or even not to do, but you can not let program do some new thing that not designed to do.

As I said above sometimes someone can let other people think they did it! But only 2 possibility: one is just look like, one is someone luck to found the programmer disabled part (mostly unfinished and with bugs). There are another possibility is that someone is a hacker, then he can really do that, he can change the program behavior. But I am not a hacker, you are not a hacker, 99.9% mod or addon maker are not a hacker. That's the fact, and welcome to real world.
WDQ4587: Seriously mate, you need to slow down, take a breathe and re-read my post. You have been misquoting me this entire conversation, twisting my words to try to use them against me. I really don't appreciate that. I did not say that every aspect of the game has been changed. I said "just about every aspect of this game has been changed before in one way or another." There's a difference there mate. I know there are things about the game that haven't been changed, but just about everything that anyone would want changed has been. The dat and cfg files aren't scripts, but act just like them to control the in game world. I still firmly believe that there are scripts in the game, even if they are hard coded. It would be hard to make a complex game without some sort of scripting to it.

And you're right, I'm not a hacker. That's not really needed for this game though, as it has the best support I've ever seen for a game from it's modding community. It appears that I am talking to a machine translator, because something is getting lost in translation here.

GlobalExplorer: I know that mate, and I wasn't trying to have an argument here. I always try to lend a hand where needed, I just needed to clear up this mess. I'll leave this thread alone unless something else needs to be said.