View Single Post
Old 03-15-13, 02:14 PM   #106
rudewarrior
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbit View Post
I've been away from Silent Hunter for almost a year now. The call of the cold, grey Atlantic has called me back.

I'm not sure this is the place to gripe about this since it is really a computer problem and not a mod problem, but....I've been dying to try this mod since it came out, so I downloaded it last week and started through the install instructions and ran into a problem.

For some reason, the .exe file doesn't work. It is like my computer doesn't even recognise the file. It is just a box. All the other files in the mod are there. I tried redownloading it and unzipping with the same result.

I downloaded it onto my laptop and the file is there with the little captain's hat logo on the .exe file and it opens fine so I put the file onto a flash drive and tried to load it onto my desktop computer with the same result. It doesn't even recognise it on the flash drive so I know it is a issue with my computer and not the mod or the download.

Judging from some of my google searches and limited computer knowledge, I thought it might be a registry problem. I tried a few things that I found during my searches with no luck.

The last thing I tried was a Windows Repair from the Windows XP disc where it reinstalls the Windows files but doesn't erase all of your files. No joy though. Plus it turned into a somewhat longer experience than what I had hoped when some of my drivers disappeared and I had to find them on the internet using my laptop, putting them on a flash drive, then loading them back onto my desktop.

The game runs fine otherwise and I have not noticed any other issues with other programs so I'm left wondering why my computer is having issues with this .exe file and no others, at least as far as I can tell.

My computer is getting up there in age and my wife is not buying into getting a new computer "...just so you can play that damn submarine game!!!"

Any ideas are appreciated. For now I am probably going to figure out how to use the orders manually. Either put them on a Word document and just follow them as they apply or try to come with some mini-mod that I can use. We'll see.

It looks like a great mod though. Thanks for the hard work you have put into it.

I used MS Visual Studio 2012 to write it, and a freeware compiler called Sharpdevelop to compile it. Keep in mind that I am not an expert, but there seemed to be a lot of references to .NET framework. Try updating .NET framework to the newest version possible and see if that helps. After that, I'm out of ideas.

Hope this helps!

rudewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote